Columbia, S.C. Today, the South Carolina Department of Insurance (SCDOI) announced a Drive Smart campaign. This public awareness effort is challenging South Carolinians to drive without distractions.
DOI.SC.GOV/DriveSmart Highlights Reasons to Avoid Distracted Driving
The SCDOI is highlighting some of the real dangers of taking your eyes off the road on its website at doi.sc.gov/drivesmart. These include:
- You are 90% more likely to have an accident when driving distracted.
- Texting and driving is 6x more dangerous than driving drunk.
- Distracted driving kills more than 8 people and injures another 1,095 people daily in the U.S.
- South Carolina ranks #1 out of all states in fatality rate per 100 million vehicle miles driven.
- South Carolina averages two crashes every hour involving a distracted driver.
Director Farmer Asks: Who’s Driving When You’re Distracted?
“We’ve all let something distract us from the road. It’s easy to get sidetracked by your phone, GPS, or radio. We’re challenging you to consider this - who’s driving when you’re distracted?” said Ray Farmer, Director of the SCDOI.
April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month
This campaign will run the month of April, which is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Distracted Driving Awareness Month.
Follow the SCDOI on Social to Learn More, Take Our Drive Smart Quiz
Throughout April, the SCDOI will be sharing information about distracted driving and ways to drive distraction-free. This information will be shared via social on Facebook (SCDOI), Twitter (@scdoi) and Instagram (@South_Carolina_DOI).
The SCDOI is also launching a five-question Drive Smart Quiz, available at quiz.doi.sc.gov.