To: All Insurers Writing Private Passenger Automobile Insurance or Homeowners Insurance Coverage in South Carolina
From: Michael Wise Manager, Office of Market Services
Subject: 2020 Private Passenger Automobile and Homeowners Insurance Sample Rates Pursuant to Bulletin 2013-02
Bulletin 2013-02 set forth an annual data call for rates effective June 1st of the applicable calendar year. The purpose of this notice is to notify Property and Casualty (P&C) insurers of the July 31, 2020 deadline to submit sample premium data.
Insurers are strongly encouraged to check the Department’s website frequently, particularly the P&C Data Calls web page, for updates and, further, to sign up for the Department’s Bulletins and Orders distribution list via the Notification Subscription tool to ensure timely receipt of subsequent guidance.
Scope and Applicability
Bulletin 2013-02 provides that P&C insurers who write new private passenger automobile property and casualty insurance (personal auto) or homeowners property and casualty insurance (residential property) and meet one of the following criteria will be required to submit information to the Department:
- The insurer is in one of the top 25 national groups based on personal auto direct written premiums and has more than $1 million in personal auto direct written premiums in South Carolina, or
- The insurer is in one of the top 25 national groups based on homeowners direct written premiums and has more than $1 million in homeowners direct written premiums in South Carolina.
As stated in Bulletin 2013-02, all other P&C insurers have the option to report the requested information and are encouraged to participate.
Submission Timeline and Requirements for 2020 Sample Premiums
The 2020 annual submission period will begin on June 15, 2020, and data must be submitted no later than July 31, 2020. Unless otherwise noted, insurers should follow the guidelines set forth in Bulletin 2013-02.
The major changes from the guidelines set forth in Bulletin 2013-02 are as follows:
- Insurers should refer to the links provided below for updated documents and resources relative to the 2020 annual submission period
- All files should be submitted in csv format – the online upload will only accept “.csv” files
- Sample upload files are provided below for companies to use to compare to while preparing their files for submission
Links are provided below to relevant documents and resources relating to this data call.
Questions regarding this notice should be submitted via email to PCmail@doi.sc.gov and include the company name and primary point of contact (with phone number and email address) for follow up.
Questions or requests for technical assistance regarding the online submissions process should be submitted via this portal: www.doi.sc.gov/helpdesk.